Sunday, October 18, 2009

From Daniel to Matthew: Prophecy fulfilled and ever fulfilling!

I'm still a complete and utter newbie when it comes to Biblical prochecy and attaining a full understanding of how the Old Testament contrasts to the New Testament, but a friend of mine asked me a question about the prophecies in Daniel (namely in contrast to John's Revelation), and not knowing a great deal about them I began to read through the book and I came across this particular verse:


"But in the days of those kingdoms the God of heaven will set up a kingdom that shall never be destroyed, and his kingdom shall not be delivered up to another people, and it shall break in pieces, and shall consume all these kingdoms, and itself shall stand for ever." - Daniel 2:44 (D-R)


Now, I know the New Testament a lot better than the Old Testament (yes, this is something I'm hoping to change; I'd like to know both testaments as well as I do just one), and it made me think, "Where have I seen this before?" because I had definitely read something similar in the New Testament. That's when I turned to Matthew:


"And I say to thee: That thou art Peter; and upon this rock I will build my church, and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it. And I will give to thee the keys of the kingdom of heaven. And whatsoever thou shalt bind upon earth, it shall be bound also in heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt loose upon earth, it shall be loosed also in heaven." - Matthew 16:18-19 (D-R)


Hmmm...


"... a kingdom that shall never be destroyed... and itself shall stand for ever." - Daniel 2:44


"... and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it." - Matthew 16:18


Could I be reading too much into it? Possibly! But I've tried to read it with other sets of eyes (figuratively speaking) and played devil's advocate with it, and I can't seem to untie the connection here. But then again it may not be for me to untie! Could another parallel be drawn like this one? Could another even be convoluted?


In my next blog entry I'll be writing on the significance of Peter being handed the "keys of the kingdom" by Christ, but this Daniel to Matthew parallel blew my mind!

Until then,

Pax vobiscum
(Peace be with you).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.