Monday, January 11, 2010

Marky Mark, you're a tad confused!



I enjoyed a carb-loaded breakfast at McDonald's this morning before heading out to the gym for a workout, and while I feasted on a hash brown or two, I came across an article in the entertainment section of the newspaper (The West Australian, January 11 2010) which talked about how Mark Wahlberg (aka "Marky Mark" of "Marky Mark and the Funky Bunch" fame) courted his now wife, Rhea Durham.

Wahlberg took Durham to Mass for their first date after only meeting a day earlier. This is what Wahlberg said when he was asked about taking Durham to Mass, and what he said urked me:

"She [Durham] was raised a Christian, not a Catholic like me. She did come - and now she's converted."

At a first glance you might think there's nothing wrong with this statement, and like me you'll think it's fantastic that Wahlberg's wife is now a Catholic, but that's not the problem. Pay attention to the first sentence: "She was raised a Christian, not a Catholic like me..."

Every time I read or hear something of this effect, I bang my head against the nearest hardest surface (preferably horizontal). There seems to be this idea out there that "Catholic" and "Christian" are two different entities. One of the frustrations I have with my fellow Catholics is when they're asked the question, "Are you a Christian?" their immediate response is, "No, I'm Catholic". Oi vey!

CATHOLICS ARE CHRISTIAN! Mister Wahlberg: yes, you're a Catholic, but you're also a Christian! *slap* *slap* *slap*!

Here's how we can break it down:

All Catholics are Christian, but not all Christians are Catholic.

Christianity = Religion
Catholic = Denomination (i.e. "a large group of religious congregations united under a common faith and name and organized under a single administrative and legal hierarchy" - http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/denomination)

If Mister Wahlberg knew a bit more about his Church, he would have said this instead about his wife:

"She was raised a non-Catholic Christian. She did come - and now she's converted."

If you like Mr. Wahlberg think there's a difference between "Catholic" and "Christian", then I've hand-picked a few videos from Youtube for you to watch to enlighten you, but remember:

CATHOLICS ARE CHRISTIAN!
CATHOLICS ARE CHRISTIAN!

CATHOLICS ARE CHRISTIAN!



Say it with me:

CATHOLICS ARE CHRISTIAN!



Oh you're getting so good at this!

*Ahem*

Enjoy the videos.

God bless!



http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHTHS_fpo_A&videos=GewBiYv0znc&playnext_from=TL&playnext=1 - Video series (playlist) by Catholic Apologist, Vic Scaravilli, entitled "Are Roman Catholics Christians?" (17 parts).


 
P.S. Marky Mark, if you're reading this: I'm a big fan! ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.