Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Reflections on the recent clerical-abuse scandal...




As a very devout Catholic myself I often find myself answering questions shrouded in the context of the clerical-abuse scandal, and my non-Catholic Christian friends especially love to question my devotion to the Catholic faith in light of the apparent “corruption” within the Holy See.

A simple mantra that I have learned to live by whenever the Church has been attacked or I have been persecuted for my faith because of the reprehensible actions of other Catholics, is this:

“Don’t leave Peter because of Judas”.

Sin is sin; it is never to be tolerated, but in saying that we must demonstrate great compassion and love for the sinner. A good Christian should never tolerate such behaviour, but is leaving the Church the answer? Will that solve all or any of its problems?

As Catholics we have to remember that the Church itself - the church that Christ himself established - is perfect. It’s men (sic.), however, are not.

Christ promised himself that “... the gates of Hell shall not prevail against it” (Matt. 16:18) and it is through unfailing faith of the human body of the Church that it will see through this storm. 

What our priests and all of our clergy need is prayer, not blame.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.