Saturday, May 08, 2010

What ever happened to "the same yesterday, today and forever"?



I consider myself a very orthodox Catholic. What does that mean? Well, for starters, I'm not willing to compromise my faith and beliefs for the sake of a "progressive" society.


As a teacher of Religious Education in a Catholics school, quite often I encounter and learn of people teaching the Catholic faith to young an impressionable minds, but coming out with some whoppers. What kind of whoppers? The whoppers that completely disregard the gospel teachings of Christ and doctrines of the Church. Be it about sex before marriage, contraceptives, homosexuality, abortion, etc., the one of few frustrations I have today as a Religious Education teacher is with those teaching the subject who either know very little about their faith or deliberately teach contrarily to the Church. It's easy to spot this; a teacher may say, "The Church teaches this, but I believe...".


Now don't get me wrong: it's all well and good to be sensitive of the thoughts and feelings of your students in the classroom - I know my own students very well and cater for their individual needs - but if a students asks me a question, I'm not going to give them a wishy-washy answer. If a students asks me a question about the Church's stance on the issue of sex before marriage, I will tell them exactly where the Church stands on the issue and where the Church stands on the issue is exactly where I stand on the issue.


All human beings crave truth, not half truths or sugar-coated rhetoric. Christ himself told everyone what they needed to hear, not what they wanted to hear. Christ challenged his followers; he didn't say to them "Look, just try your best and see where it gets you" or "Follow me whenever you feel comfortable". No! Our Lord spoke strongly and directly but with great love and compassion - the love he has for all - and as Christians today we need to emulate this.


It's a great shame that Religious Education teachers who are very orthodox in their beliefs and teaching are persecuted and ridiculed by "progressive" "Catholics". Jesus Christ was the same yesterday, today and forever (Hebrews 13:8), so why should we who are trying to be like him be any different? It's like John the Baptist said about Christ:


"He must increase, but I must decrease." - John 3:30


When we teach about our faith, our students of all things need to see Christ in us instead of the "us" in us. How can any student take what we are teaching seriously when they're receiving conflicting messages from teachers of the same subject area? It's no wonder the youth of today approach morality with relativistic eyes, i.e. "you have your truth, and I have my truth".


"That they all may be one, as thou, Father, in me, and I in thee; that they also may be one in us; that the world may believe that thou hast sent me." - John 17:21


Consistency with the gospel, consistency with the Church, and most importantly consistency with Christ is the key.


Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.