Monday, August 09, 2010

Quick Thought: Christ Tempted in the Desert and Stone to Bread



I was watching my student teacher teach my Year 12s this afternoon and she decided to lead the lesson by reading Luke's account of Jesus' fast in the desert for 40 days. Now I've heard and read the story of Christ's temptation in the desert countless times, and it was probably one of the first things that was taught to me as a primary school student; I was six years-old at the time.


What jumped out at me today, however, for whatever reason, was verse three of Luke's account:


"And the devil said to him: If thou be the Son of God, say to this stone that it be made bread." - Luke 4:3


... And then I started thinking about the Eucharist and the Real Presence, and then it hit me, I mean, it really smacked me right between the eyes!


If Satan himself believed that Christ could turn something like a stone into bread to eat, then why is it do we have so many opponents to the idea that Christ makes himself present in bread and wine at the Eucharist?


Something to ponder...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.