Saturday, February 04, 2012

The Bible: A quick thought and reflection...



I began teaching my Year 12s about reading the Sacred Scriptures during the week, and I was trying to think of ways to make it appealing to them. I decided in the end to be honest and forward with them. I told them: 


"Folks, there's probably nothing I can do to make you enjoy reading the Bible or to make you excited about it. I won't sugar coat it for you nor will I dumb things down for you because the Bible, the Sacred Scriptures, is what it is: it is the inspired Word of God; it is, as Christians truly believe it to be, our salvation history and contains very important lessons on how man has reached out to God and how God has desired to be in a relationship with us as a family united in his kingdom. If that fact alone appeals to you, then I openly encourage you to pick up your Bibles outside of class time and begin reading it. If this does not appeal to you, then I'd be more than happy to speak with you one-to-one to try and work out a way I could encourage you to explore the Word of God." 


This made me realise as I went to bed on Friday night of how much love I have for the Sacred Scriptures and how much treasure there is to be found in this precious book. The more I read scripture, the closer I am to my Lord and the most holy Catholic Church.


"I interpret as I should, following the command of Christ: Search the Scriptures, and Seek and you shall find. Christ will not say to me what he said to the Jews: You erred, not knowing the Scriptures and not knowing the power of God. For if, as Paul says, Christ is the power of God and the wisdom of God, and if the man who does not know Scripture does not know the power and wisdom of God, then ignorance of Scripture is ignorance of Christ." - St. Jerome (Commentary on Isaiah Nn. 1.2: CCL 73, 1-3)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.