Monday, June 25, 2012

There's nothing I'd rather be doing...



One of my students said to me today, "Sir, you're too smart to be a teacher; you could be doing something better and that pays you what you deserve." 


I kid you not; I'm not making this up (yeah, someone out there thinks that I'm smart)!


No, the pay's not glamourous, but I can't think of anything I'd rather be doing. I share my faith with my students on a daily basis, I help broaden their horizons and encourage them to think beyond themselves and anything tangible in their lives, and on occasion I am an adviser, counsellor, mediator, and motivator, or just a good set of ears for listening.


Sure, there are aspects of teaching that I don't like that much (e.g. marking and reporting) but for all the bad they are outweighed by the good.


I truly believe this is where God wants me; this is my vocation and where my talents are best used. As scripture tells us:


"Having gifts that differ according to the grace given to us, let us use them: if prophecy, in proportion to our faith; if service, in our serving; he who teaches, in his teaching; he who exhorts, in his exhortation; he who contributes, in liberality; he who gives aid, with zeal; he who does acts of mercy, with cheerfulness." - Romans 12:6-8


And for what purpose?


"Him [Christ] we proclaim, warning every man and teaching every man in all wisdom, that we may present every man mature in Christ." - Colossians 1:28


Amen.

1 comment:

  1. Good on ya, mate!

    Our world needs men like you in the role/vocation you are in more than just about any other role. Thank you for being true to your calling.

    Just came upon your blog when you were suggested to follow on Twitter.

    Also, prayers offered on that opportunity you posted about back in May. I have difficulty in discerning what to do/not to do as regards faith and service opportunities when it will entail time away from my wife and young kids. May the Spirit guide you.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.