Thursday, August 09, 2012

Some wisdom from an ex-girlfriend...


Tonight I came almost face-to-face with an individual who some time ago left a venomous message on the blog. The reason I say "almost face-to-face" is because while the message was left anonymously, I knew very well who the sender was (thanks to the wonder of Internet technology) and tonight - by chance - they were present at the same function I was tonight. They avoided all eye contact with me and while I don't completely understand this behaviour, I hold no ill thought of this person and nor do I bear any grudges because, as Christ taught, I am to forgive as often as our Heavenly Father is prepared to forgive us for our transgressions (Matthew 18:21-22) and since I have forgiven this person I see no need to call them out or confront them on the matter.

To cut a long story short: the message that was left on the blog a while back made some outrageous accusations about what I teach and believe as a Catholic. The person who left the message had never personally been taught by me and therefore could not know first hand what I taught and believe as a Catholic. The claims were so way off the mark that if this person was an Olympic archer, the spectators would have been in danger of being pierced by a stray arrow. The message reminded me of some wisdom an ex-girlfriend shared with me a long, long time ago:

"Assumption is the mother of all mistakes."

Now while this logic may be flawed due to recognising that some good may come of making assumptions, in this particular instance it reigned true.

Here's the thing: I know that there are going to be people who either passively or aggressively disagree with my faith and in what I teach and believe as a Catholic. I'm more than happy for others to disagree with me because that is, my friends, an opportunity to allow the truth to do its work and I'm more that happy to have an open dialogue as long as it is civil and conducted in an adult-like manner. As we read in St. John's Gospel:

"You will know the truth, and the truth shall set you free." - John 8:32

All I desire in my life as a Catholic is truth and to share that truth with others. I fully acknowledge that this will not always be welcome, but if you are going to disagree with me, then please do the following:

1.) Disagree with me on what I actually believe;
2.) Do not disagree with me on what you think I believe.

The Venerable Bishop Fulton J. Sheen once said, "There are not more than 100 people in the world who truly hate the Catholic Church, but there are millions who hate what they perceive to be the Catholic Church."

Yes there are sinners in the Church and the Church's members are not perfect. Individuals in the Church have done some vile and horrendous things and things that I would of course not condone. I pray daily that these people truly turn to Christ and repent for their wrongdoings and if they have violated the dignity and sanctity of the life of another, then it is my hope the justice is done. We are great sinners but Christ is a great saviour. 

I am a Catholic-Christian because I am spiritually poor and I need a minutely dose of Jesus Christ in my existence. With Him I can do nothing. This is the truth that I know and the truth I put my faith in completely and whole-heartedly. No compromise. No appeasements. I live to follow the Lord and do His will; I stand with Christ.

Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.